Backend DeveloperApply now
BelleVie is redefining the future of care work.
We focus on creating great jobs in care and support work, empowering small self-managing teams of around 10 carers who manage their own schedules and make the day-to-day decisions on how to deliver the best support. Our innovative model is the equivalent of moving IT teams from Waterfall to Agile delivery. And it’s working. We’ve proven that we can recruit great people with values that chime with ours; we’ve proven that we can deliver outstanding support with ratings of 9.9/10. But new ways of working need new digital tools. We’ve raised £1.25m to invest in new solutions to reinvent the future of care work.
- We make life worth living
- We build trusted relationships
- We are driven by compassion
- We encourage ambition and creativity
- We strive to be the best we can by measuring outcomes and using data.
- We share accountability and take pride in everything we do
You will be responsible for:
- Collaborating with a small agile team on the delivery of bespoke digital tools for BelleVie, primarily responsible for the backend platform and overall technical architecture
- Co-producing solutions with end users, understanding their needs and aspirations, constantly testing and learning, and regularly playing back.
- Designing solutions, selecting AWS products, setting up a new database, and making decisions on when to build our own and when to use libraries.
- Designing and building our suite of APIs.
- Creating testable code and making testing a priority.
- Working to agile principles with the other members of your agile development team.
- Experience of the Amazon Web Services ecosystem and building AWS cloud services.
- Experience designing and creating APIs, understanding principles of decoupling and re-use.
- Able to design e2e solutions in a greenfield environment, including database design and data structures.
- Able to work as a part of an agile team in a dynamic startup.
- Knowledge of test automation, continuous integration and continuous delivery;
- Awareness of operational aspects, building performant applications and monitoring them showing you care about your code.
The right person
- We want you to not only create our back end platform, we want you to be the sort of person that can see opportunities and cool ways of doing things that we might have missed or didn’t know about.
- Perhaps even more importantly than that, we need you to drive these changes and take full ownership. If that sounds like something you are good at, then that’s great.
- You’ll be great at comms; you can explain tricky tech trade-offs to non-technical folks.
- You’ll need to communicate with a wide range of people, including board members and end users; be able to understand users needs and aspirations and communicate how digital tools can support them.
- You actively enjoy collaborating with team members and help design team environments where positive intent is assumed and compassion, honesty, respect and flexibility are actively encouraged.
- Continuous improvement – you work to learn and grow, you take feedback well and you look for opportunities to coach other members of the team
- You’re a considerate coder – you like to leave things better than you found them.
- And you want to be part of a team that’s making a real difference to the future of work, to society and our aging population.
- £40k – £55k salary plus reasonable expenses.
- Permanent employment.
- You’ll work from home, as part of a friendly virtual team. When we’re allowed, there will be face-to-face quarterly meet ups for play backs, larger retrospectives and planning.
- We count outcomes not hours, but expect this role to be your full time work.
- Your hours can be flexible. We expect you to be responsible for your outcomes and being available to your colleagues.